Thursday, May 15, 2008

I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on...

I've been on the road a lot the last few days, but contrary to what you might think, that doesn't mean I haven't been learning anything new.  As a matter of fact, I've found one can learn quite a lot by just reading road signs.  So, I thought I'd forward along some of the interesting things I've seen and learned while reading signs during my late adventures about the Midwest.  Take this as a kind of road-sign travelogue.

- There is a monument in Mt. Olive, Illinois to Mother Jones, who was apparently an important labor organizer in the early 1900s.  (Later in the week, I ran across an interesting article/illustration in a magazine named after Mother Jones about the ever-expanding size of the American Dream.)

- Steak 'n' Shake, of course, is usually a 24-hour establishment.  However, at around 2 am last Wednesday night/Thursday morning (May 14/15), the Steak 'n' Shake off of I-55 in Springfield, Illinois was totally empty.  Doors locked.  A handwritten sign explained that the store was "close" for the night.

- The BP just down the road from Steak 'n' Shake, however, is always open 24 hours a day, and features a bathroom with an automatic cologne dispenser. By depositing a quarter, customers can get a spritz of their favorite imitation designer cologne.

- The Dairy Queen in Martinsville, Indiana is hiring a cake decorator. They are also having a special sale on cheeseburgers.

- The Green Tree Inn, near exit 4 on I-65 by the Indiana/Kentucky border, purports to be close to everything.

- Jonathan Byrd's Restaurant & Cafeteria in Seymour, Indiana contains an "extensive Norman Rockwell collection."

- Contrary to all sound and ordinary logic and reason, guns actually save lives.  

- It appears that the only decent places for one seeking to purchase fireworks in a given state are found near the border of another state which has stricter fireworks laws.  I wonder if those who monitor interstate fireworks trafficking have caught on to this peculiar coincidence.

- Steward, Illinois can afford "no services," according to a helpful (albeit disappointing) little sign affixed below the sign announcing one's passing through the town on I-39.

And that's what I learned on my trip.

3 comments:

undulatingorb said...

I saw a Mother Jones reenactor at Illinois College. Which exit was this "close" Steak N Shake off of?

Andrew Hatcher said...

I believe it was exit 94 on I-55. It was late. Things were hazy.

How does one "reenact" Mother Jones?

undulatingorb said...

If it was exit 94, that's very near where my dad lives.

She dressed up like her and basically did a monologue as Mother Jones.